Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Assignments, Hospital Visits, Ice Cream and Work. What did you do?

This past week has been pretty hectic. (I'm starting to sound as repetitive as the bloody twitch in my right eye)

Due to some very efficient procrastination on my part, I left my module 3 assignment to the last minute. Well, last half hour, but still. Thankfully it was a quiz and due to one silly mistake (rushing will get you nowhere) I narrowly missed out on 100%. I'll take it though.

That was Monday, which also included a visit to hospital, otherwise known as the B&B. The old man was in once again, thankfully this time it was just for observation while he was on a drip to get rid of some inflammation in his leg. Please make sure that, if you have a hyphenated surname, they put your full name on the board. Stupid male nurse nearly gave my dad someone else's medication which would have been catastrophic.. I hear he's in kak now..good.

The trouble is that after a long day at work, followed by visiting hours, you don't really feel like getting stuck into reading course notes. Besides, Mondays are reserved for Come Dine with Me SA. Trust me, you need to follow #ComeDineSA on twitter on a Monday evening. It makes for entertaining reading.

Tuesday and Wednesday was much the same, with the old man eventually coming out on Thursday. Just in time for Ultimate Braai Master. Possibly THE BEST reality show, cooking or otherwise, to be on the telly. And it's Proudly South African. I'm backing Rust 'n Dust all the way (@RustnDustCT). Karl matriculated the same year as me at York High. You go boy!

I'm off to dinner with some mates on Tuesday and I decided that I'd make some Ice Cream for dessert. I'm still pondering what to do to my creme anglaise base to make it magical.. After being surrounded by so many fantastic chefs last week, I fear my delusions of grandeur will lead to a flop. Best just to keep it simple, right? Nah.. So far I'm leaning towards mixing in some Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey to the mix to create a nice boozy ice cream. Any thoughts?

Month end is always fun when I'm weekend duty manager, but thankfully it's been rather measured. Everything is under control and while I'll probably have a late night again tonight, I'm on track to get done with all my paperwork.. Thankfully Module 4's SEO assignment is submitted (for better or worse) so that's one less thing to worry about.

Tonight I think I'll try out the new dinner menu. Lamb Shank or Rib-eye? Undecided...but it shall be Dinner for One once again.. Same Procedure...

Don't forget to check out http://derrycoffeecompany.yolasite.com/ and have a guess as to which coffee shop it's based on. There's a coffee in it for the first person to guess correctly.

Also, Marmite or Bovril.. Have your say in my poll.

Ciao ciao,

N.

5 comments:

  1. Whiskey and honey is a lovely combo, just boil off the alcohol to a syrup otherwise your custard may split or it won't freeze ;)

    PS Marmite... hate bovril

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Janine.
      Forgot to boil off the alcohol, but it's only 3 Tbsp, so it should be fine. (I hope...tastes amazing though)

      Also made a Peanut Butter/Crushed peanut and chocolate ganache ice cream which tastes fantastic.. (I think so, haha)

      Delete
  2. I had some of that honeyed Jack while I was baking cookies on Thursday. Mmm... The benefit of funemployment: day drinking :)
    And definitely Marmite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah, good old day drinking. Makes me think of the song Dagdronk by Fokofpolisiekar.
      At least we're heading into the festive season, so funemployment becomes Holiday..at least for a bit.

      How did the cookies turn out?

      Delete
  3. Cookies were a great success. I only had one drink, and despite being a cheap date, nothing was burnt or raw - just right :)

    ReplyDelete